Chana dal masala vada is a popular south Indian evening snack. Masala vada can be made by coarsely grinded paste of chana dal along with onion spices and herbs.
- Soaked chana dal 1 cup
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chili 1-2
- Cinnamon stick 1-2 inch long
- Thinly sliced onion 1/2 cup
- Thinly sliced mint leaves 1/2 cup
- Thinly sliced curry leaves 1/4 cup
- Ginger garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Finely chopped green chili 2-3 (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak the chana dal for 2 -3 hours drain and set aside.
- Grind the dry spice in jar.
- Coarsely grind them and set aside.
- In the same jar add soaked dal and coarsely grind it by adding salt.
- Transfer the dal mixture to mixing bowl.
- Add onion, mint leaves, curry leaves, spice powder, ginger garlic paste.
- Mix together all the ingredients to get well binding mixture , to check take small portion of mixture and shape to vada. The mixture should hold shape well not fall apart, if it doesn’t bind well add 2 teaspoons of besan (garam flour) mix well and check.
- Take the small portion of mixture press down in your palm to form a ball, place it on left palm, flattened it till you get proper shape.
- Deep fry vada in hot oil till golden brown.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup and enjoy.