These are deep fried fritters made with lentils.They are served with topping of yogurt and chutneys and that’s what makes them so delecious .
Make the softest Dahi Bhalla/ Vada with my quick and easy recipe. These lentil fritters are dunked in yogurt and topped with spicy and sweet chutneys.
- Urad Dal ( washed and soaked) 2cups
- Green chili and ginger paste 2 teaspoon
- Cilantro leaves finely chopped 1/2 cup
- Baking soda 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Yogurt 2-4 cups as needed
- Sugar 1 cup or as per taste
- Himalyan salt 1 teaspoon
- Tamarind and date chutney for serving
- Mint and cilantro chutney for serving
- Wash and soak urad Dal for 1-2 hours.
- Drain the water and make grind Dal coarsely by adding ginger green chili paste , cilantro leaves, baking soda and salt to taste and set aside.
- Heat the oil in frying pan , make small round shape balls with dal mixture and fry till golden brown and add fried fritters in to a bowl of water and let it in their for few minutes.
- After few minutes gently press each fritters in between your palms and squeeze out all the water and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add yogurt and beat to smooth consistency.
- Then add sugar and salt give it a mix and set aside.
- Take large wide serving dish place the fried fritters in a line then add yogurt on the top till the fully covered in yogurt.
- Cover this dish with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Serve chilled by adding tamarind date and mint cilantro chutney by sprinkling some chaat masala.
- Enjoy as starter .