- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time:20 minutes
- Servings: 4 people
Kashmiri dum aloo is potato based dish, baby potatoes are deep fried and cooked slowly on low flame in a gravy with exotic spices.
- Baby potatoes (half boiled,and peeled) 600 grams
- Onion (roughly chopped) 3 medium size
- Garlic clove 10 12
- Chopped ginger 2 inch
- Cashew nuts 10 to 12
- Plain yogurt 1/2 cup
- Tomato puree 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Kasoori methi 2 teaspoon
- Javitri (mace) 1 piece
- Cinnamon stick 1
- Cardamom 2
- Clove 2 to 4
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Kashmiri red chili powder 2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Cooking oil 6 tablespoon
- Coriander leaves for garnishing 1 cup
- Salt to Taste
- Prick the half boiled potatoes with fork and set aside.
- Add red chili powder,turmeric powder and little bit salt and coat all potatoes and set aside for few minutes.
- Heat oil in frying pan add coated potatoes and fry till light golden in color,take out all fried potatoes to a plate and set aside.
- Add whole garam masala( cinnamon,cardamom,javitri,clove) to the same oil and saute for few seconds.
- Now add cashew nut ,garlic clove, ginger pieces ,and saute for few second and add onion and fry till onion get soft and light brown in color, set aside the mixture to cool down.
- Grind the mixer to fine paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in another pan add cumin seeds ,allow to crackle, then add red chili powder ,turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add grinded paste and mix well, allow to cook on low flame for about one minute.
- Then add cumin powder,coriander powder,and black pepper powder and mix well and allow to cook until oil separate from masala.
- Add tomato puree mix well and cook covered for few more minutes .
- Add plain yogurt ( reduce the heat to low while adding yogurt) and mix well.
- Add little bit of water if gravy is too thick.
- Now add salt,garam masala,,and crushed kasoori methi stir it.
- Add fried potatoes and mix well ,cook covered for few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan chapati or rice.
Kashmiri Dum Aloo